Below you'll find answers to the questions we get asked the most about applying for Hitents products.
- Ease of use, all you have to do is arrive and open it. No more fighting with tent poles and broken or missing parts that got lost or left behind. Don't get us wrong, all forms of camping are wonderful ways to get outdoors. Our HIT® tents and accessories just elevate your experience to the next level!
- Whole new point of view when you open your windows and see the world around you from your vantage point on top of your vehicle or trailer. Remember that tree fort when we were kids? Multiply that by a cool factor of 10 and you're starting to get the picture. One use and you will be asking yourself why you didn't buy one of these sooner.
- Rocks, roots, mud etc, are no longer an issue. Superior protection from the elements compared to a standard tent. As long as you get your vehicle level the ground can be uneven and you will not even know.
- Safe from snakes, spiders, scorpions and other creatures that could normally come right in if your tent was on the ground.
- Make camp anywhere you can park. Opens up a whole new option anytime you travel. And be ready to camp at a moments notice if you leave it mounted year round.
- Will fit on any vehicle with a roof rack or aftermarket bars such as Thule or Yakima for example. From a Prius to a Suburban and everything in between. These truly let anyone become the explorer they've always dreamed about.
- Whether you live in a big city or out in the country far from the urban environment HIT® tents and accessories will put the outdoors at your fingertips ready for adventure at a moments notice.
- Much smaller than a travel trailer or RV and a fraction of the cost.
- Anyone. If you have a vehicle whether its a small car or extreme offroad or expedition rig, Our products will work for you.
- Surfers, fishermen,hunters,nature enthusiasts,beach lovers,overlanders, literally anybody. If you like or want to get outdoors and have the finest sleeping and shelter accommodations then we can help. You don't have to be an extreme rock crawler or survivalist. Maybe you just want to take your car and escape the city life and get away from your desk for a few days. From the beach to the most remote locations and everywhere in between we are here to help.
Hinterland Industries Tents (HIT®) provides a 2 year manufacturers warranty on our roof top tents (RTTs). This covers any defects in material or manufacturing. HIT® will repair or replace at our discretion any items that prove to be defective at no cost to you. This does not extend to normal wear and tear, cosmetic blemishes sustained during use or damage caused by improper use, improper cleaning, or improper storage. If the whole tent needs to be returned for repair/replacement or inspection, the costs and liability associated with that is the responsibility of the customer.
- AK and HI call for rates
- We can ship internationally as well. Please call for rates.
Always let your tent dry fully in the sun before long term storage. It is ok to pack wet if its only to drive home or to the next camping location. But once you are done it is very important to make sure it is dry before you leave it closed up for an extended period of time. If not then mold and mildew will form and you run the risk of permanent damage and voiding of your warranty. Plus you won't want to sleep in a tent with mold and mildew in or on it.
Use a silicone spray on all your zippers. Also bees wax is a great lubricant for them as well. Should you get excessive dirt or debris in your zipper be sure to clean it well before use, failure to do so could cause damage to the zipper and or shorten its service life.
If you have a mold or mildew issue you can clean the tent with a mild detergent such as lysol all purpose detergent or a diluted simple green mixture in a gallon of warm water. Then be sure to rinse off all the detergent with clean water prior to letting fully dry and storing.
Over time with use and cleanings the waterproofing might start to break down some. This can be easily fixed with a silicone based fabric water repellent available at most camping supply stores or outdoor retailer.
Wash your mattress and cover from time to time and hang to let air dry. It is good to check between the mattress and the tent floor as this is an area that condensation can and will form depending on the climate.
To fully prepare your new tent for all weather use it is recommended to set it up and lightly spray it with water to allow the threads and fabric to swell and seat. This is referred to as "seasoning" your tent. Then let fully dry and put away. This can be achieved in the first rainstorm you are in too but you might notice a little bit of water intrusion while everything is getting "seasoned". To avoid this simply prep your tent at home with the above method and you are good to go. This can be repeated as many times as desired.
Yes! We periodically have demo and used models available. They are sold as-is and without warranty. For prices and models available please call us. Demo and used tents are sold without warranty and are only available for pickup only, they cannot be shipped.
Our tents will mount to any rack system rated for over 130lbs. Whether its a factory rack with crossbars or aftermarket bars from fine manufacturers such as Thule and Yakima. Or any aftermarket rack company like Gobi Racks or Bajaracks to name a couple. Mounting is very easy with fully adjustable stainless steel bolts and mounting brackets.